Cheesy Kale, Spinach, and Bacon Dip
I don’t think this dip needs much of an introduction. It’s cheesy and packed full of flavor, but the kale and spinach makes it feel 1,000% healthy. Or at least that’s what I keep telling myself as I shovel chips full of it into my mouth and pour myself a second glass of wine.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups kale (ribs removed, leaves thinly shredded)
- 6 oz baby spinach
- 6 pieces bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- Cooking spray
- Tortilla chips or grilled bread (for serving)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Add olive oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until translucent and golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute (you want the garlic to become fragrant but not burned).
- Add the spinach and kale with a large pinch of sea salt and a few turns of pepper. The spinach will wilt almost immediately; this is when it helps that the kale is thinly shredded (it’ll cook faster). Cook until kale is wilted, approximately 5 minutes. Scoop out contents of the pan onto a plate (or into a bowl) and set aside. Return pan to stove.
- Add the whole milk, cream, and cream cheese and whisk until the cream cheese is melted. Reduce heat to low and whisk in worcestershire sauce. Slowly add in handfuls of the monterey jack cheese, whisking until fully melted and incorporated.
- Add the kale, spinach, and onion mixture back into the saucepan and stir everything to combine. Stir in the crumbled bacon. Taste the dip (it should taste delicious!) and add an extra pinch of salt and pepper if needed.
- Pour the dip into a baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. I used a 7 x 7 square dish and it fit the amount of dip perfectly but use whatever you have – square, rectangular, circular, etc.
- Top the dip with the parmesan cheese and bake for 10-15 minutes, until the top is golden brown and bubbly. Serve with chips or grilled bread (it’s great with some hot sauce!).