Homemade Breakfast Crunchwraps
It’s no surprise that Taco Bell is my favorite fast food. I’ve been eating cheesy gordita crunches for as long as I can remember (and my memory isn’t great given the amount of wine I consume but I do vividly remember ordering them in middle school in the crappy mall food court in Pennsylvania where I grew up). Crunchwraps also have a special place in my heart, and I love recreating TBell dishes at home, test kitchen style. This recipe is super flexible depending on what you have lying around – just resist the urge to overstuff them, as it’ll make folding and grilling them more difficult. No one likes a broken tortilla!
Makes two crunchwraps
- Two large, burrito-size flour tortillas
- Two frozen hash brown patties (Trader Joe’s are great)
- Two slices american cheese
- 1/3 cup shredded mexican cheese
- 4 slices bacon, cooked (make it crispy!)
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 4 eggs
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tbsp milk or cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- Cooking spray
- Cook hash brown patties to package directions. They should be browned and crispy.
- Make the sauce: in a small bowl, mix together mayonnaise, sour cream, and hot sauce. Set aside.
- Scramble the eggs: whisk together the eggs with the milk and a pinch of salt and pepper. Really whisk them thoroughly until they’re light and foamy (incorporating air into them is how they’ll end up light and fluffy). Add butter to a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the eggs and using a spatula, stir continuously and slowly. Once the eggs look 90% set, pull the saucepan from the heat. They’ll continue to finish cooking and set up a bit more from the residual heat in the pan.
- Prepare the tortillas: put the two tortillas on a large plate. Wet a paper towel and squeeze out excess water; place the paper towel on top of the tortillas. Microwave for 20 seconds. This will warm the tortillas while keeping them moist, which makes them much more pliable and easier to fold/work with.
- Now, we assemble. Start with a tortilla on a flat surface. Spread half of the sauce mixture on the tortilla. Add one slice of american cheese on top. Next, add one hash brown patty. Next, half of the scrambled eggs. Next, two slices of bacon (I typically break each slice into two pieces). Next, half of the jalapeno slices. Finally, top with half the shredded cheese.
- Fold the crunchwrap into it’s iconic shape. Start at the bottom of the tortilla and gently fold the edge up and over into the center. Continue to work your way around, folding the tortilla up and over into the center. Crunchwraps typically have six sides but sometimes I find it easier to fold into five sides. If you’re having trouble with an open spot in the middle, you can always cut an extra piece of tortilla and stick it in the middle.
- Turn a grill pan or saucepan to medium-high heat. Add a bit of cooking spray and put the crunchwrap, seam sides down, on the pan. Grill for 1-2 minutes, flipping halfway through, until golden brown on the outside.
- Remove from the pan and enjoy!