Cheesy Tater Tot Breakfast Burritos
If this can’t cure a hangover, I don’t know what can. The secret star of the show is the creamed jalapenos. I’d eat this stuff with a spoon.
The recipe makes one breakfast burrito but scale it as your heart desires (you’ll have enough creamed jalapenos for 3-4 burritos).
For the creamed jalapenos:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced jalapeno peppers (seeds removed depending on spice preference)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
For the breakfast burrito:
- 5-6 frozen tater tots
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large flour tortilla
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 2 strips bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- 1/3 cup creamed jalapenos
- 1 slice american cheese
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Add the olive oil to a medium saucepan or skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot, garlic, and jalapenos. Cook, stirring frequently, until the jalapenos are softened and the shallots are translucent, approx 5 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream, season lightly with salt and pepper, and bring to a simmer. Stir frequently to keep the cream from scorching on the sides of the pan. Cook until the cream and vegetables are reduced to a saucy consistency, another 7-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the monterey jack cheese. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Cook the tater tots according to package directions, leaving them in a bit longer than directed so they’re extra crispy and brown (this prevents them from getting mushy once they’re in the burrito).
- Spray a nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and heat over medium-high heat. Crack the eggs into a small bowl and gently slide the eggs into the skillet, being careful not to break the yolks. Cook until the egg whites are set but the yolks are still soft. Remove the eggs to a plate or cutting board. Turn off the heat but leave the skillet on the stovetop, you’ll use this pan to grill the burrito.
- Heat the flour tortilla in the microwave for 15 seconds to make it more pliable.
- Sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the tortilla. Add the tater tots, bacon, creamed jalapenos, fried eggs, and slice of american cheese. Fold in the opposite sides of the tortilla, then roll up burrito-style.
- Heat the nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the burrito and grill until the tortilla is lightly golden brown, flipping halfway through to grill both sides.
- Cut in half and serve with hot sauce.