Homemade Pizza Hot Pockets
Stuffed with melty mozzarella, pepperoni (or salami), jalapenos, sauteed mushrooms, and red onions. They’re baked to crispy, cheesy perfection – unlike the frozen store-bought ones that go from “frozen” to “boiling lava hot”. And you get to avoid all the judgmental stares when you’re waiting in the checkout aisle at the grocery store.
Makes two hot pockets.
- 16 oz pizza dough
- Olive oil
- 2 cups thinly sliced mushrooms
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp dried parsley flakes, divided
- 2 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2/3 cup (approx 6 oz) pepperoni or salami
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp water
- Pinch of chili powder
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees (ideally with a pizza stone on the bottom rack if you have one).
- In a medium saucepan or nonstick skillet, add the olive oil over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, a pinch of salt, a few turns of freshly cracked pepper, and 1/2 tsp dried parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are lightly browned, approximately 5-6 minutes. Set aside.
- Divide the pizza dough in half. Using a rolling pin, roll out each piece of dough into rectangular/oval shape, approximately 7 x 9 inches. Keep the longer side closest to you.
- Divide the fillings (mozzarella, pepperoni, jalapeno, red onion, sauteed mushrooms) in half, and arrange half of each of the fillings in the center of each piece of rolled out dough, leaving a 1″ border at each side edge. Add a sprinkle of salt and pepper over the ingredients.
- Gently fold in the shorter sides. Fold the bottom piece of the dough (the long side facing you) over the filling and roll up to enclose it, like you’re rolling up a burrito. Pinch the seams to seal them, and then place the pocket seam-side down on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Whisk the egg together with the water. Brush the pockets with the egg wash. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tsp dried parlsey, the chili powder, and a pinch of salt over each pocket.
- If you’re using a pizza stone, slide the pockets and the parchment paper directly on top of the stone. Alternatively, place the baking sheet with the parchment paper and pockets directly into the oven. Bake until the pockets are crispy and golden brown, approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven, let cool for a few minutes, cut in half, and serve.