Taco Bell sadly revamped their menu and pulled the quesarito (they did replace it with the grilled cheese burrito, so I can’t complain that much). Solution? Learn to make quesaritos at home.
For the homemade flour tortillas, this is my go-to recipe courtesy of NYT Cooking. They’re perfectly pliable and they taste so much better than store-bought. Worth the effort. The recipe makes 12 taco-sized tortillas, so to make giant burrito-sized tortillas, divide the dough into 4 balls instead of 12. If you’re hangry and don’t have the time to make tortillas from scratch, store-bought tortillas still work fine. Try to find the thinnest ones you can find and microwave them for 20 seconds on low heat under a damp paper towel to soften.
For the seasoned beef:
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, grated
- 1 lb ground beef, preferably 80%/20% or 85%/15% grass fed
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
For the queso:
- 8 oz Velveeta
- 10 oz can of Rotel
- Handful of fresh cilantro
- 2 tbsp whole milk
For the quesarito:
- Large burrito-sized flour tortilla
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- 1 cup seasoned beef
- 1 cup cooked white rice
- Juice and zest from one lime
- Handful fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup queso
- To make the seasoned ground beef, heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add grated onion and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the ground beef, stirring occasionally and breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon. Once the beef has browned, add in the seasoning packet, cayenne pepper (if using) and 1/4 cup water. Simmer until the water is evaporated and the meat is coated with the spices, another 1-2 minutes. Set aside and let cool slightly.
- To make the queso, add the can of Rotel and cilantro to a blender or food processor and pulse until only very small chunks remain. Add the Rotel, Velveeta, and milk to a saucepan and melt over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Once the cheese is fully melted, season to taste with additional salt as needed. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
- QUESARITO time. In a bowl, stir together the rice, cilantro, and the zest and juice from the lime. Set aside.
- Heat a grill pan (or a skillet) over medium-high heat while you prepare the burrito.
- Place the tortilla on a plate and sprinkle the shredded cheese evenly over the tortilla (see note above if using store-bought tortillas). Microwave for 20 seconds until the cheese is mostly melted.
- Add the rice and seasoned beef in the middle of the tortilla. Top with queso. Roll into a burrito (how-to here if you need some assistance).
- Place the burrito in the grill pan, seam side down, and grill until golden brown. Flip and grill on other side, approx 1-2 minutes per side.
- Enjoy with a ton of hot sauce.
PeggyAugust 3, 2020 at 2:49 pm
can I print your recipes?
sldoutyAugust 3, 2020 at 3:16 pm
Hi Peggy – it’s normally easiest to copy the text and paste it in a word doc. Hope that helps! 🙂
Karey CochisSeptember 14, 2020 at 5:26 am
hi there, your site is perfect.Following your site.
sldoutySeptember 14, 2020 at 4:07 pm
glad you’re enjoying it! 🙂
Comments are closed.