Kale and Prosciutto Pizza
This is one of my all-time favorite pizza combinations – kale and prosciutto pizza with quick-pickled shallots, garlic, mozzarella and fontina. The crispy kale and buttery prosciutto combine to create a pizza party in your mouth. And putting kale on a pizza basically means it’s health food, right?!
-8 oz pizza dough
-One package good-quality prosciutto
-1/2 cup tomato sauce
-3/4 cup freshly shredded fontina cheese
-1/3 cup fresh mozzarella, torn into bite-size pieces
-2 cups shredded kale
-Handful of quick-pickled shallots
-2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
-Sea salt and cracked black pepper
-Red pepper flakes and parmesan (optional, for serving)
- Preheat pizza oven to 700 degrees (or a pizza stone in a conventional oven to 500 degrees for one hour).
- Stretch out pizza dough into a 10-12 inch circle. Top with tomato sauce, starting in the middle of the pizza and spreading out towards the crust in a circular motion.
- Scatter shredded fontina across pizza. Add torn mozzarella pieces.
- Scatter shredded kale across pizza and cover with a light drizzle of olive oil – this helps the kale get extra crispy in the oven! Add a sprinkle of sea salt over the greens and a few turns of freshly cracked pepper.
- Top kale with shallots and garlic.
- Bake in the oven until cheese is melted and crust is golden (5-6 minutes for pizza oven, 10-12 minutes in standard oven).
- Remove pizza from the oven and immediately top with slices of prosciutto.
- Add red flakes and fresh parmesan shavings (if desired) and enjoy immediately!