Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad
This baby is inspired by my favorite salad at Scopa, one of my favorite restaurants in Venice. The toasted almonds add the perfect amount of crunch, while the avocado brings creaminess to balance out the bitterness of the brussels and the tartness of the sherry vinaigrette. And you can never go wrong with salty pecorino cheese. It’s the perfect way to kick off date night at home – if you need to impress someone (or apologize), pair it with a bottle of natural white wine, grilled boneless ribeyes, and garlic bread. You’ll score major brownie points.
For the salad:
- 12 oz brussels sprouts, thinly shaved
- 2 cups grapes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup pecorino cheese, grated or shaved
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley leaves
- 1/2 avocado, diced
For the dressing:
- 1/3 cup sherry vinegar
- 1 cup avocado oil
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 2 tsp honey
- 1 small shallot, minced
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Make the dressing. In the bowl of a food processor, add the vinegar, mustard, and honey. Pulse to incorporate. Slowly stream in the oil with the motor running (alternatively this can be done without a food processor; whisk continuously instead). Add the shallot, salt and pepper to taste, pulsing a few times to incorporate. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Toast the almonds in a saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring frequently, until they turn a light golden brown color. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl, add the brussels sprouts, grapes, parsley, avocado, half of the almonds, and half of the pecorino. Add 1/2 cup dressing to start (adding more as desired) and toss everything together. Top with the remaining almonds and cheese and serve immediately.