It doesn’t need much of an introduction. If you invite me to a party, I spend most of my time awkwardly hovering by the dips, trying to casually shovel the bowl(s) into my face. I have a dip problem so believe me when I say, THIS IS IT. It’s like spinach artichoke dip on steroids. It’s cheesy, spicy, and full of spinach and kale so you can pat yourself on the back after eating the whole bowl for dinner.
- 2 cups frozen spinach
- 2 cups frozen kale
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 5-6 cloves minced garlic
- 2-3 pepperoncinis, chopped (2 tbsp worth)
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp pepperoncini juice
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup half and half
- 8 oz jalapeno cream cheese (can easily sub for plain depending on spice preference)
- Cooking spray
- 1/4 cup + 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 tbsp Italian breadcrumbs
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Thaw the frozen spinach and kale. Squeeze as much excess water out of them as possible. Chop the thawed kale and spinach into a fine mixture. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, add olive oil over medium heat. Add shallot and saute until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add garlic, spinach, kale, pepperoncinis and a healthy pinch of salt and a few turns of cracked pepper. Saute until mixture is warmed through, another 2-3 minutes. Scrape the mixture out onto a plate and set aside.
- Return the empty skillet to the stove over medium heat. Add the half and half and then break the cream cheese up into pieces, adding into the half and half. Whisk until the cream cheese is fully melted into the half and half. Whisk in 1/4 cup parmesan until fully melted. Add the pepperoncini juice, cayenne pepper, and the kale/spinach mixture. Gently stir to incorporate everything. Season with additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly grease a baking dish with cooking spray (I’ll normally use a 5″ x 5″ dish or an oval baker). Add the dip to the baking dish. Top with breadcrumbs and remaining 1 tbsp grated parmesan, and bake until the top is golden and bubbly, 10-15 minutes. Serve immediately with toasted bread, crackers, or veggies.