Trash Can Cookies
This is everything you want in a cookie. Browned butter, dark chocolate chunks, milk chocolate chips, chopped nuts, and butter toffee pretzel pieces. The butter toffee pretzels were an impulse purchase from my most recent visit to Trader Joe’s – if you can’t find them, it’s fine to substitute for regular pretzels, but I’d highly recommend grabbing a bag if you can.
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, browned and cooled
- 1 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s butter toffee pretzels, broken into pieces
- 1/2 cup bittersweet dark chocolate, chopped
- Flaky sea salt (preferably Maldon) for topping
- Brown butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisking continuously, until it foams and turns a golden brown, approximately 5 minutes. Remove from heat and move the butter into a large mixing bowl. Let the butter cool completely.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the sugars to the browned butter and whisk until well-incorporated. Add in the eggs and vanilla, mixing well.
- Add the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients, mixing until just combined. Gently mix in the chocolate, nuts, and pretzel pieces until just incorporated.
- Cover the bowl in plastic wrap and chill the dough overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and line baking sheets with parchment paper. Scoop out the balls of dough (around the size of a golf ball) and place them a few inches apart – the cookies will spread as they bake.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and bake for 12-14 minutes until golden brown. Once they’ve cooled and set up a bit, transfer to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.