Upgraded Avocado Toast with Poached Eggs
There are no less than two million recipes out there for avocado toast so I’m not going to recreate the wheel. The following recipe is my go-to for an easy brunch dish that impresses your guests and looks much more complicated than it is. The cherry tomatoes are roasted on a sheet pan, so it’s easy roast a large batch of them. Any leftover tomatoes are a great addition to a charcuterie board.
White wine vinegar is my secret when it comes to avocados (guacamole or in general). It adds the acidity that you’d typically look for from lime juice, but it’s creamier and I think it does a better job of enhancing the avocado’s flavor.
Serves 4 (easily scalable; rule of thumb is 1/2 a large avocado for each piece of toast)
- 1 large fresh loaf of seeded, crusty bread
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- Olive oil
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Flaky sea salt
- 2 large, ripe Haas avocados
- 2 tsp white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs (as fresh as possible)
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- Everything bagel seasoning
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- On a large baking sheet lined with aluminum foil, toss the cherry tomatoes with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tomatoes are blistered and skins start to get golden brown spots, approximately 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Add the avocado flesh to a bowl. Add the white wine vinegar and a healthy pinch of sea salt. Mash with a fork to desired consistency. Taste and add more salt as needed. Set aside.
- Slice 4 thick slices of bread. Toast until golden brown. Set side.
- Fill a large pot with 4 inches deep worth of water. Bring to a boil and add the white vinegar – this helps keep the egg whites together. Stir.
- Individually crack each egg into a separate ramekin or small bowl – this ensures that you don’t end up with any pieces of shells, and it’s easier to gently slide the eggs into the water.
- Reduce the heat to medium low (so it’s barely at a simmer), gently slide the eggs into the water, and leave them undisturbed for 3 minutes.
- While the eggs are poaching, assemble the rest of the toast. On each plate, assemble one slice of toast, spread it with the mashed avocado, and top with roasted cherry tomatoes.
- Remove the eggs from the water with a slotted spoon. Place one egg on top of each piece of toast.
- Sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and flaky sea salt and enjoy immediately.