Cheesy Baked Eggs with Kale and Mushrooms
I’ll eat this for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. It’s light enough that you feel healthy but it has just enough cheese that you feel satisfied (I don’t think I can have a meal without cheese). And not to mention it’s the right amount of spicy. It’s also perfect if you’re hosting brunch – you can prep all of the ingredients ahead of time and then assemble the ramekins and bake them with a mimosa in-hand, instead of slaving away over something like eggs benedict. You also get lots of bonus points for something that looks this adorable. Serve with grilled bread and hot sauce.
When it comes to mushrooms, buy them whole and thinly slice them yourself. I think the pre-sliced ones are too chunky.
Serves four, easily scalable.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 oz cremini or baby bella mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeds removed and finely chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups dinosaur kale, shredded
- 4 large eggs
- 4 tbsp heavy cream
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp white cheddar cheese
- Grilled bread and hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray four ramekins (mine are 6 oz each) with cooking spray and place them on a baking sheet – the baking sheet allows you to move them all into/out of the oven at once without sloshing raw egg everywhere.
- Melt butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and jalapeno and a healthy pinch of salt and pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and the mushrooms begin to brown, approx 3-4 minutes. Add the kale and garlic and cook until the kale is wilted, another 2-3 minutes.
- Divide kale mixture evenly between the ramekins, making a bit of well in the middle for the eggs. Drizzle 1 tbsp heavy cream into each ramekin over the kale mixture.
- Sprinkle an equal amount of cheese into each ramekin.
- Gently crack one egg into each ramekin. Sprinkle each with salt and pepper.
- Place the baking sheet with the ramekins into the oven and bake until the egg whites are just set, about 10-14 minutes.
- Serve immediately with grilled bread and hot sauce.