Everything Bagel Breakfast Strata
Loaded with eggs, breakfast sausage, veggies, and cheesy goodness. You can bake it immediately after assembling or make the night before for a stress-free brunch. Highly recommend with several mimosas.
- 1/2 loaf day old bread (french bread, baguette, whatever)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 white onion, finely diced
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed (or not), diced
- 1 cup chopped leeks (whites and light greens only)
- 3 cups spinach
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 16 oz breakfast sausage
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 eggs
- 1 tsp dried mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot paprika
- Fine sea salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- Hot sauce, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with foil. Cut bread into 1 inch cubes. Add cubed bread and toast until bread is golden brown, 10-15 minutes. Set aside.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 degrees.
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, leeks and a large pinch of salt. Saute until soft and translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add sausage and cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up with a wooden spoon, until browned. Add the spinach and garlic and saute until spinach is wilted, another 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat into a large mixing bowl. Add cheddar and mozzarella and stir to combine. Add bread to the mixture and toss to combine.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, cream, dried mustard, paprika, and a large pinch of salt and several turns of pepper. Whisk well to make sure everything is well incorporated.
- Grease a 10 x 10 inch baking dish. Add the bread mixture to the pan. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and gently press the bread cubes down to make sure they’re fully submerged. If you’re going to make this the night before, cover and refrigerate.
- Before baking, scatter everything bagel seasoning over the top of the strata. Bake until slightly puffed, the top is golden brown, and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean – approximately 1 hour. I’ll normally loosely cover the top with foil approximately 30 minutes into cooking to keep the top from getting too brown.
- Serve strata warm with hot sauce.