Pepperoni Pizza with Everything Bagel Seasoning Crust
If you can’t find smoked mozzarella, look for smoked gouda or regular gouda. You’re just looking for something with a bit more “pizzazz” than regular mozzarella.
- 8-10 oz pizza dough
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 cup freshly shredded smoked mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh mozzarella, torn into small pieces
- 4 oz pepperoni, sliced moderately thin
- 1 egg + 1 tbsp water, whisked together
- 1-2 tbsp everything bagel seasoning
- 1 tbsp grated parmesan
- Preheat your oven, with a pizza stone on the lowest rack, to the highest setting (typically 500 degrees) for at least an hour. Alternatively, preheat your pizza oven to 700 degrees.
- Bring the pizza dough out of the refrigerator approximately 30 minutes before you’re ready to stretch it out. Let it rest on a floured countertop (or cutting board) under a dish towel to keep it from drying out.
- When you’re ready to make the pizza, stretch out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 10-12 inch round, allowing the dough to rest for a few minutes if it springs back. *Optional: I prefer to place the dough on parchment paper and then trim the excess paper off around the dough – I think it’s easier to handle than cornmeal on the pizza peel.
- Top the dough with the tomato sauce, leaving a 1-inch border for the crust. Scatter the shredded smoked mozzarella evenly over the pizza, followed by the fresh mozzarella and pepperoni.
- Gently brush the crust area with the egg wash. Sprinkle the everything bagel seasoning evenly over the crust.
- Using a pizza peel or cookie sheet, transfer the pizza to the oven. For a standard oven at 500 degrees, the pizza will likely take 12-13 minutes. For a pizza oven at 700 degrees, it’ll take 5-6 minutes. Rotate 180 degrees halfway through so that the crust browns evenly.
- Remove from oven and set the pizza on a cooling rack set on the counter. Sprinkle the grated parmesan over the top of the pizza. Let it cool for a few minutes, and then cut and enjoy.