Spicy Sausage and Green Chile Pasta
This is the definition of comfort food. It’s creamy, cheesy, spicy, and super easy to make. Which means less cleanup, more time for wine. What more do you need?
- 1 14-oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 7-oz can fire roasted green chiles
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large white onion, finely diced
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage, removed from casings
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 12 oz pasta (I like to use a fun shape where the sauce will get stuck in the crevices, I love campanelle or fusilli)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- Pulse the diced tomatoes and green chiles in a food processor or blender until it resembles chunky salsa. Set aside.
- Add 1 tbsp olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and saute until translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the sausage, breaking up with the back of a wooden spoon. Cook for 5-6 minutes until browned.
- Add the diced tomato/green chile mixture, chicken broth, heavy cream, chile powder, pasta, salt, and 1/2 cup of the parmesan cheese to the skillet. Stir to combine. Bring to a boil, stir, and cover the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer until the pasta is tender, approximately 12-15 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the heat. Top with the green onions, remaining 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, and several turns of freshly cracked black pepper. Serve.