Spicy Calabrian Chili Hummus
Most of my weekday lunches consist of “things on toast”. What goes great on toast? Hummus and veggies. What’s the secret to the creamiest, silkiest hummus? Peel your chickpeas! Peeling off the skins is a game changer for homemade hummus, because the skins are what make homemade hummus grainy. Drain and rinse the canned chickpeas, and then pop the bean out of the shell by gently squeezing between your thumb and index finger. I’ll work my way through a can while sitting in front of the tv, watching trashy Bravo reality shows – it’s oddly cathartic.
- One can chickpeas, drained, rinsed, and skins peeled/removed
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tbsp greek yogurt
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tsp crushed calabrian chili paste
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- Add the chickpeas, lemon juice, greek yogurt, garlic, and calabrian chiles to the base of a food processor or blender. Process/pulse until a creamy consistency is reached.
- With the motor running, slowly stream in the olive oil.
- Add the sea salt and pulse to incorporate. Taste and add additional salt if needed.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes prior to serving.