Spicy Chorizo Breakfast Migas
The perfect cheesy, spicy, one-pan Tex-Mex breakfast. It’s a mess of chorizo, crispy tortilla strips, peppers, onions, and slow scrambled eggs. Top it with avocado, salsa and crema for the perfect hangover cure.
Serves 3-4 depending on how hungry (or hungover) you are.
- Vegetable oil
- 1/2 white onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 habanero, chopped (optional)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 9 oz tube pork chorizo
- 6 corn tortillas (taco sized), thinly sliced into strips
- 8 eggs
- 1 tbsp cream or milk
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 cup shredded monterey jack cheese, divided
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- Suggested toppings: chopped cilantro, mexican crema, avocado slices or guacamole, salsa
- Add 1 tbsp oil to a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, jalapeno, and habanero and saute until translucent, about 5 mins. Add the garlic and saute for another 30 seconds until fragrant.
- Turn the heat up to medium-high and add the chorizo to the pan, breaking up with a wooden spoon or spatula and mixing with the onions and peppers, approx 2 minutes.
- Move the chorizo mixture to one side of the pan and add 2 tbsp vegetable oil to the other half (empty side) of the pan. Let the oil heat up for 1 minute while the chorizo continues to cook – we’re going to use the oil to pan fry the tortilla strips.
- Add the tortilla strips into the hot oil, lightly tossing. Let the strips get crispy, approximately 2-3 minutes. Sprinkle the tortilla strips with a pinch of salt. Once they’re crispy, lightly toss everything together to incorporate, being gentle not to break up the tortilla strips. Move the mixture from the pan onto a plate and set aside.
- Return the empty saucepan to the stove. Whisk together the eggs, cream, cumin, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Add eggs to the saucepan over medium-low heat and cook until eggs are almost set. Add 1/2 cup of monterey jack cheese. Stir to combine and melt the cheese, approx 1 minute.
- Return the chorizo mixture to the pan and gently fold everything together. Turn off the heat and add in the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and gently fold once more – the residual heat will melt the cheese.
- Serve directly out of the skillet or serve onto plates. Top with avocado, crema, cilantro, and salsa.