Strawberry Basil Margaritas
It’s five o’clock somewhere, right? I tend to prefer margaritas that aren’t super sweet (aka heavier on the alcohol because let’s get where we’re trying to go). These margs get just enough sweetness from the fresh strawberries and the muddled basil is super refreshing. They’re the perfect summer cocktail.
Makes four margaritas. Optional – if you want to spice it up, thinly slice up half a jalapeno and add it to the basil before muddling.
- 1 pint fresh strawberries
- 1 cup blanco tequila
- 1/2 cup cointreau or triple sec
- 3-4 limes (depending on how large they are)
- 1 tbsp agave
- Handful of basil leaves, thinly sliced
- 1 can sparkling water
- Salt (optional, for rimming glass)
- Squeeze the lime juice into a blender. Optional – use the squeezed limes to rub around the rim of your glasses and dip each glass into a small plate with salt to rim the edges. Add ice to the glasses and set aside.
- Muddle the basil and set aside.
- Add the strawberries, tequila, cointreau, and agave into the blender along with the lime juice. Blend on high speed until it’s a smooth, even consistency and the strawberries are completely blended (approx 1-2 minutes).
- Strain the strawberry mixture through a fine mesh sieve to catch the seeds/any remaining pulp. If you don’t have a mesh sieve it’s not a big deal, the margs will just have a slightly thicker consistency.
- Add the strained strawberry mixture to a pitcher. Stir in the basil and sparkling water. Pour into the glasses and serve.