Steak Fajita Quesadillas
It’s a fiesta for your mouth with melty cheese, spicy roasted peppers and onions. Make sure you liberally sprinkle some cheese at the top of the quesadilla so it oozes and gets some of those melty, crusty cheesy bits as it cooks.
Makes 2 quesadillas.
- Olive oil
- 1 tbsp vinegar (red wine vinegar, white wine vinegar, or balsamic all work fine)
- 1 tsp fine sea salt
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 lb skirt steak
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- Small handful fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 large flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- Optional, for serving: guacamole, hot sauce, sour cream
- In a large plastic bag, add 2 tbsp olive oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, chili powder, and cumin. Add the skirt steak and massage the marinade into the steak. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a skillet over high heat. Remove the steak from the bag and shake off any excess marinade. Cook for roughly 3 minutes on each side for medium-rare.
- Let the steak rest for 10 minutes.
- Let the skillet cool down for a few minutes, and then add 1 tbsp olive oil to the skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, jalapeno, and bell pepper and cook until softened and the onion is translucent, approx 4-5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the chopped cilantro. Set aside.
- Slice the steak into cubes or strips and mix into the onion and pepper mix.
- In a clean nonstick pan, melt half the butter. Add the tortilla to the pan, swirling to evenly coat the side of the tortilla touching the pan. Add half of the cheese and half of the fajita mixture to one side of the tortilla, and then fold the empty half of the tortilla over the side with the ingredients to form the quesadilla. Flip after a few minutes and cook until both sides are golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and repeat step #6 with the remaining ingredients.
- Cut into wedges and serve warm with guacamole, hot sauce and sour cream.