Cheesy Spinach Jalapeno Phyllo Cups
What’s better than a hot, melty, cheesy dip? A cheesy dip already in perfect snack bite form! Frozen phyllo cups make this look fancy and sophisticated when it’s actually perfect for those of us that love to entertain but are also… lazy. You can also make the filling the day before and keep it in the fridge until you’re ready to spoon into the cups and bake.
Makes 30 cups.
- 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 small yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed and finely chopped (seeds removed depending on spice preference; we leave ’em in)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup shredded monterey or pepper jack cheese
- Fine sea salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 packages frozen mini phyllo cups
- Once the frozen spinach is thawed, squeeze as much excess water out of the spinach as possible. Finely chop the spinach. Set aside.
- Add the olive oil to a nonstick skillet or pan over medium heat. Add the onion and jalapeno peppers and saute, stirring occasionally, until the onion is softened and translucent, 2-3 minutes. Add the spinach and garlic and saute, stirring occasionally, until the spinach is warmed through and the garlic is fragrant, 1-2 minutes.
- Add the sauteed vegetables to a medium mixing bowl. Add the cream cheese and shredded cheese and stir to evenly combine the filling. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When you’re ready to bake and assemble, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Place the frozen phyllo shells on a rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spoon a heaping 1-2 tsp of the mixture into each cup; they should be full but not overflowing.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the tops are golden brown and the cups are heated through. Serve immediately.